Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Mexico XIX - Poverty


These pictures speak for themselves.

Most were taken from the highway headed north to the Pyramids. Mexico City is surrounded by slums, and shanty-towns like these. Entire hills covered in concrete. Homes put together with scrap metal, tarps or pieces of wood. These are places cars can't even pass. I think of myself living in the US, lamenting that I didn't have granite counter-tops or a custom pool in my backyard. These pictures give me a quick reality check and I must again and again feel gratitude for all that I have, for all that ALL of us have living in the US. I don't want to hear about any more fake problems - a home rennovation, a broken dishwasher, not being able to find that perfect home in that perfect neighborhood with a perfect school... seriously, most of the worlds population lives like this...










I don't really make politally charged comments, but for all of those people who hate illegal immigrants, I think they need a tour of one of these shanty towns. If it were me, trying to raise my family in one of these shacks, earning less than $5 a day, with nothing to loose, I would risk everything to enter into the US illegally. There is so much hatred in the US towards Mexicans, especially in places like Arizona, Texas, and California - but do you blame them? I know it is costly for our government, but we all have more than enough clothes in our closet, food in our pantries, our houses are warm and dry, even with all the taxes we pay - so why should we complain about sharing with our neighbors. Keep coming my friends. Mi casa es tu casa. Mi pais es tu pais.

11 comments:

Emily said...

Wow!! I am going to show these to my kids and give them a reality check. You are right, most of our problems are fake problems compared to this.

Garity said...

Great pictures. Every time we drive by the shanty towns I use it as a teaching moment for the kids; how can we help, what are you grateful for, basic awareness of how others in the world live, (so be quiet about your nintendos already) etc...
We have a neighborhood right near us that is in pretty bad shape. It's not the worst of the worst but pretty close to the pictures you have posted. I grew up always being near shanty towns (or having squaters living in cardboard boxes and corugated huts next door) since it's part of the 3rd world landscape we lived in. I want my kids to have the same exposure.

As for the whole illegal thing, I'll give you a pass LOL. Then again you and I are coming from different spectrums, I'm married to an ICE special agent who deals with it every day. I will definatley agree there is too much hatred towards illegals which blinds people from the real issues.

I'm grateful to be a citizen of the most generous nation in the world. Americans go above and beyond when it comes to aid and our government alone more than shares with Mexico.

Kris has personal stories that would make your head explode about the Mexican government. (He is in charge of several of the programs and has personally seen the corruption) With what we are giving the govt. of Mexico and what we are doing for them, they could easily become a very wealthy nation. That alone makes me sick about the whole illegal immigration issue because those at fault are just getting fatter and fatter while the poor are suffering.

I still think we need immigration laws (we have the most lenient laws in the world BTW) because it's a privilege not a right to live in the US. I just wish our govt. would start taking to task the govts, like Mexico's, who aren't taking care of their citizens and forcing them to act desperately.

Mommymita said...

What do you kids think of the sites?

You're right we do have a lot of fake problems.

I remember last time Paul and I went to Mexico we stayed at an annoying all inclusive resort. All the tourist were hauling all sorts of junk just to sit and enjoy the beach - books, food, sunglasses, headphones, towels, sunblock, sand toys. We headed down to a more dessereted part of the beach and there was a poor local family that showed up in their clothes with a bucket and a boat. They swam in their clothes, took the boat out and caught a fish then cooked it on the beach. They looked a lot less stressed out than anyone on the tourist beach - they looked like they were having a great time!

Also in west SLC we witnessed a family playing soccer with an empty gatorade bottle - they were having a great time! No weekly practices and annoying coaches

Becca said...

Wow - we really do have a lot to be grateful for! (I need to stop complaining about fake problems ie. laundry and dishes) Next you need to post some of your old India pictures.

Karen S said...

Suz- Thanks for that reminder. I just linked this to my blog. Hope you don't mind. It's private- won't bring in too much traffic, just family and a few friends. :)

The Posh Nosh said...

Hi Suz- Just cathcing up on your blog. Beautiful post and well said. We are so blessed.

AmyJune said...

I love this post. I completely agree about the illegal immigration thing. Who wouldn't want to try and give their child a better life.
And thanks for the good perspective.

Mary said...

I like the reality check. We really do have so much. "Where much is given, much is required."

Christina, knick name Bina said...

I shall never complain about washing dishes by hand again.

noelle said...

good post, suz. now come back. no seriously. i miss you so much.

Unknown said...

Hi Mr Gle,
i like very much your pictures, i can see that you are been very well. I want to talk wit you because i need to know... how are you? pls you respond me
Manny