Sunday, January 18, 2009

Mexico II

We ate grasshoppers!
well, juju spit hers out, but at least she put it in her mouth for a second...
Last Saturday we explored the open market outside Lincoln Park. Our first stop was a Oaxacan back of a car stand to sample "Chapulines" - grasshoppers roasted and sprinkled with lime and chili powder. Scott threw a couple in his mouth like it was nothing... I ate one, (so gross), to look as tough as Scott. Julianna put it in her mouth and spit it out. Alexandra, always trying to outdo Julianna, chewed it and swallowed it. She was so proud after!


10 comments:

Dad Wirthlin said...

How many calories in a grasshopper? Don't get sick down there

Love, Dad

Suz said...

I don't know how many calories. All I can say is that they were very crunchy. We haven't gotten sick yet, don't worry! I have even been eating street tacos, and I know I should stop, but they are so DELICIOUS!

Mommymita said...

Great to see you blogging again - You'll have way better stories and stuff to blog about

Heather said...

Wow! I told Allie and Hadlee, their comment was" What!! How come they ate a grasshopper"? It will be fun to keep updated about all your fun Mexico adventures!

Emily said...

Great "mission" food story!

Becca said...

Your kids are brave!
I like all of the beans and tortillas in the background. In the Mexican spirit, we have been making home-made tortilla chips everyday for the past few days....yummy!

Thinker said...

Maybe you could mail me some grasshoppers as a nice rat treat.

I miss you amigos.

Mary said...

did they taste like nachos?

Mary said...

did they taste like nachos?

sunshine family said...

that looks like so much fun! wish we were on an adventure like u guys!

kaley