Sunday, March 22, 2009

Mexico VII - Xochimilcho Centro Turistico








We drove around a little and finally found the touristy section of Xochimilco where we were able to take a 2 hour boat tour of the famous floating gardens. It was Monday morning, so the canals were very quiet and peaceful. We took a tour on this lovely "Benvenidos Mexico" boat.










In Mexico, you can't go two feet without a food stand - even on a boat. Soon after we boarded a lady selling papas, elote and other snacks caught up with us.












This picture is for all you "Nacho Libre" fans out there. Here is little eskeleto eating his elote.









Some of the 2 hour tour was very relaxing and beautiful...














At other times we were reminded of the poverty around us. All along the canals are shacks made out of just about anything. Most of the people who work on the canals also live on the water.

Here is a Mariachi band floating along the canals.
Here is the Mariachi band that floated along the canals

9 comments:

Lara said...

Hey Suz,

It was so fun reading this! Thanks for sharing.

Lara

Karen S said...

The baby is so cute! Was that PF in the background?

Weizhong said...

Little Timmy looks like he was having a grand ole time. What are those papas you keep talking about?

RayAnne said...

I love your posts! Timmy's hair reminds me of Rachel when she was a baby. So cute! I think it would be so fun to come visit you guys.

Becca said...

Great posts Suz, it looks like a fun birthday party every day.

We really miss you guys and hope that you can come to Cancun!!!!

Garity said...

Yea! I followed your comment on my blog to your blog! Love how that works. I should be in bed but I took too long of a nap today so I'm catching up on blogs.

The boys and I are going to Xochimilcho this week for one last trip before going back to the States for the baby. I'll have to ask you more about your experience tomorrow (or I guess it's today) at church.

noelle said...

love all your pics, girlfriend. let's swim this week. call me.

Mommymita said...

That corn always looked so good in nacho libre - how does it taste? I love hearing the randomness and seeing all the pictures.

Emily said...

Love your post. Look like you had a fun time and great food!!! Timmy's is so big and cute!