Sunday, March 22, 2009

Mexico IV - Chapultepec park

We spent Scott's birthday walking through the zoo and markets at Chapultepec Park. I have to say the Phill & Ted stroller we brought here has been a life safer. It is narrow for managing crowds, has jogging stroller tires for the uneven sidewalks, and a swivel wheel for easy one-handed manuevering. We have heard it called "Padrisimo" here when people realize there is a little "guerito" hiding in the back. Thank you Brenda Petty for strongly reccomending this stroller :) it has been worth every penny!


Face painting is a big deal at Chupultepec park and the girls enjoyed having little designs painted on their faces. They were at first disappointed that I wouldn't get one of the 30 peso designs (completly covering every inch of their face) and we opted for something simpler. It was a good thing - we had to use some heavy duty soap to wash this stuff off. I guess indulging kids is part of Mexican culture and the girls enjoyed buying cotten candy, papas, and some junky toys.

We finished the day with some delicious Tacos al Pastor... I need to learn how to recreate these flavors at home. I would reccomend a trip to Mexico City just to eat some real tacos like these... by the way a plate like this costs about $2.50.

3 comments:

Lara said...

Why is it that the US has not been able to duplicate the concept of meat grilled on a spit? I'm in search of a restaurant here that sells tacos al pastor...no luck so far.

Suz said...

Lara, you are so right. Even in Houston they couldn't duplicate it. How about when we get back we open a restaurant w/ real pastor tacos with pina and all. There is a specific spice they use on these and I need to track it down. If you look closely at my blog you'll see me getting fatter. The food is so good my llanta won't stop growing!

Emily said...

Suz--you look great. Your homework is to get a recipe for those tacos--wow they look great.