Sunday, November 15, 2009

Mexico XIII - Three arqueological sites in one day - what were we thinking?

Mayan ruins - Chitzen Itza, Coba and Tulum. April 2009.

Chitzen Itza - the most famous of the Mayan ruins.
Family picture at Chitzen-itza. This was my second time here. The first was 12 years ago with Cheryl, Paul & family. Back then we were able to climb up the pyramids. The kids were really disappointed that it was roped off.

After 5 minutes, Julianna was done. Have I mentioned yet how much she dislikes pyramids? And this was the first one we saw

The second pyramid of the day, Coba. There was more shade and the kids enjoyed exploring the grounds there.

Julianna and Alexandra climbing up one of the pyramids at Coba.

Tulum, beautiful, beautiful Tulum! It's Alexandra who is having a hard time now!

This is the prettiest archeological site I have ever seen, and may ever see. It is located right on the coast, and there is a lovely breeze. Below the pyramid is a public beach that closes at 4:30pm (fyi) - we arrived at 4:45 and the kids were furious that we couldn't swim after such a long day.

We found a public beach close by Tulum and it was perfect! Powdery white sand, a huge sand bar for the kids to play in. It made the long day worthwhile.
The kids trying to body surf in the waves.

Hurray, everyone is finally happy!!
If I could do it again, I would maybe only see one pyramid, then head directly to the "cenote" close by. All pyramids in this region were built by a sacred "cenote" - natural well - that you can swim in to cool off.

2 comments:

Mommymita said...

We did them all in a week and that was long. I liked coba because it was pouring rain and we rented bikes. Tulum was great too because it wasnt so hot.

YOu guys are brave. I love Julianna' s hair.

Emily said...

I felt the same way your kids did when we went to Chintze Itza when I was 5 months pregnant and we arrive at noon. I was so hot and did not want to hike the ruins at the end of the two hour tour. I just waited in the shade. I wish we went to Tulum instead--that looks beautiful!!